Can I Renew My Work Authorization?

Immigrants obtain an employment authorization document (EAD) for various reasons. An EAD allows an immigrant to legally work in the United States while residing there. Some immigrants receive EADs based on their status; for instance, if you are an asylee or a refugee, you are typically entitled to an EAD. It is important to remember, however, that EADs do have an expiration date. If the expiration date of your EAD is coming up and you still are eligible for work authorization, you will have to file to renew your EAD. In order to renew your EAD, you must submit a new Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, along with the required filing fee, unless you requested a fee waiver that U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has approved. Normally, you should file Form I-765 within 180 days of the expiration date of your current EAD. USCIS usually is able to process renewal requests within 90 days of the date that you filed your Form I-765. USCIS currently is automatically renewing some EADs for 180 days if the immigrant has properly filed an application to renew the EAD prior to its expiration date and you fall within certain classifications. For example, if you are a refugee or asylee, you are currently eligible for the automatic 180-day renewal. Automatic renewals also may be available for immigrants with Temporary Protected Status (TPS) or who have a pending petition for Adjustment of Status. Whether you are eligible to renew your work authorization is not always as straightforward as you might initially think, especially because some of the rules seem to be changing on a daily basis. For the immigrant who wants to continue living and working in the U.S., there are major barriers to doing so when he or she has no legal immigration status. However, there may be ways that an immigrant can remain in the U.S. and continue to work. We are dedicated to providing you with the essential legal advice that you need in this type of situation, and to representing your interests before the immigration court, if necessary. We devote all of our efforts to advocating on behalf of you and your family before the immigration court. Don’t hesitate to contact the Bay Area immigration lawyers of Landerholm Immigration, A.P.C., and set up your legal consultation today. We are here to help.

Related Posts
  • Gang-Based Asylum: Is It Feasible? Read More
  • Marijuana And Immigration Law: 2021 Update Read More
  • What To Do If You Are Charged Or Convicted Of A Crime Involving Moral Turpitude Read More