Call Now for Your
Free Evaluation

Naturalization & Citizenship Lawyers In Oakland

Providing Effective & Personalized Legal Services

The final step in the process of immigrating to the United States is to become a U.S. citizen.

Eligibility For Citizenship Through Naturalization

In order to apply for U.S. citizenship, you will need to have lived in the U.S. with a valid Green Card for at least five years (with some exceptions for asylees, for people married to U.S. citizens, and for people who have spent time outside of the United States). You must also complete the eight basic requirements listed below.

To apply for citizenship, you need to:

  • Be a lawful permanent resident.
  • Be at least 18 years old.
  • Have “good moral character.”
  • Be able to pass an English exam (with some exceptions).
  • Be able to pass an exam on U.S. history and government.
  • Have lived in the U.S. for the majority of the past five years.
  • Have not traveled outside the U.S. for extended periods of time.
  • Be willing to swear loyalty to the United States.

Commonly Asked Questions

Can I apply for U.S. citizenship if I have a Green Card?

Yes, having a Green Card is a requirement to apply for U.S. citizenship. You must have lived in the U.S. with a valid Green Card for at least five years.

Are there any exceptions to the residency requirement for citizenship?

Yes, there are exceptions for certain groups such as asylees, individuals married to U.S. citizens, and those who have spent time outside of the United States.

What is considered 'good moral character' for citizenship?

Good moral character is a requirement for citizenship and involves factors such as criminal history, honesty, and respect for the law.

Do I need to pass an English exam to apply for citizenship?

In most cases, applicants need to pass an English exam, although there are exceptions based on age and length of residency in the U.S.

Schedule Your Free Case Evaluation

Fill out the form below to get started.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Applicants Beware

It can be risky to apply for citizenship because your immigration situation will be scrutinized by the government. If you have certain problems, not only can your application be denied, but the government could actually try to take away your Green Card and put you in removal proceedings to deport you out of the country. Definitely contact an experienced immigration attorney in Oakland before submitting your application!

From Eligibility to Oath: Your Journey to U.S. Citizenship Simplified

The naturalization process can be difficult and intimidating for those wishing to become citizens of the United States. In order to ensure that you fulfill all qualifying requirements and submit the required paperwork, our team of knowledgeable immigration attorneys at Landerholm Immigration, A.P.C.. are available to help you at every stage of the naturalization process.

Key elements of the naturalization process involve the following:

  • Evaluating eligibility according to residence requirements.
  • Completing the N-400 application form.
  • Preparing for the citizenship interview and test.
  • Understanding and taking the Oath of Allegiance.
  • Receiving the Certificate of Naturalization.

Our team is dedicated to delivering specialized legal advice to help you achieve your goal of becoming a US citizen. Reach out to us to find out more about the naturalization process and you could benefit from our help.

Benefits Of Applying For U.S. Citizenship

Some advantages of citizenship include the following, and more:

  • Voting. Only U.S. citizens can vote in federal and most state elections.
  • Bringing family members to the U.S. As a citizen, you can petition your family members to come on a Green Card.
  • Obtaining citizenship for your children. When you naturalize, your children will likely become citizens, too, and your children born in the future (even if abroad) will likely all be citizens.
  • U.S. passport. As a citizen, you can travel on a U.S. passport.
  • Federal jobs. Most federal jobs require you to be a citizen.
  • Becoming an elected official. Most political appointments and positions require citizenship.

To learn more about our Oakland citizenship attorneys and how we can help you, contact us today at (510) 491-0291 and set up a free evaluation. We serve individuals across the Bay Area.

What Documents Do I Need To Submit with My N-400 Application For Naturalization?

When preparing your N-400 application for naturalization, the documents you submit are crucial to the success of your application. Our team of Oakland citizenship attorneys at  Landerholm Immigration, A.P.C. is here to ensure that you have all the necessary paperwork in order.

Required documents typically include:

  • A copy of your Green Card, or permanent resident card
  • Proof of your current marital status - This may include a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or death certificate for a spouse.
  • Records of prior marriages - If relevant, provide any divorce decrees, annulment records, or death certificates that involve former spouses
  • Documentation of all out-of-country travel - Compile a list of all the occasions you have traveled outside of the country since obtaining permanent residency, together with the dates and reasons for those travels.

Our citizenship & naturalization lawyers in Oakland can help you gather additional documents if your case involves complexities such as requests for accommodations in testing due to medical reasons, or if you're applying based on military service. Reach out to us at Landerholm Immigration, A.P.C., for personalized guidance tailored to your unique path to U.S. citizenship.

If you or a loved one is seeking citizenship, be sure to reach out to seasoned citizenship & naturalization attorneys in Oakland at Landerholm Immigration, A.P.C.. Call us at (510) 491-0291or submit an online form. Se habla Español.