Oakland Asylum Attorneys
We Help People Seek Asylum In The United States
At the Landerholm Immigration, A.P.C., in Oakland, California, we help clients seek asylum in the United States. If you can answer “Yes” to any of the following questions, we may be able to help you apply for asylum:
- Are you afraid something bad will happen to you if you go back to your home country?
- Is your home country dangerous or war-trodden?
- Have you or your family members been tortured, imprisoned or otherwise subjected to violence in your home country in the past, or are you worried that you will be if you return?
- Have you ever been harmed in your home country because of who you are or what you believe?
- Have your religious or political freedoms ever been restricted in your country?
Asylum is a complicated and risky area of the law. If you are rejected for asylum, you may have to leave the United States. Before you engage in the asylum process, talk to an attorney who knows the law, and who you trust.
Things That Can Bar You From Asylum
Certain things can keep you from being eligible for asylum in the U.S., including:
- Waiting too long: Anyone seeking asylum has to apply for it within one year of arriving in the United States, unless they can meet one of two difficult exceptions.
- Committing a serious crime: Being convicted of certain crimes or having a history of persecuting others can bar you from asylum.
- Supporting terrorist groups: Giving material support to a group identified as a terrorist organization can keep you from being granted asylum.
Refugee Status Lawyers Serving Oakland And The Bay Area | We Offer Free 15 Minute Case Evaluations | Hablamos Español | Nós Falamos O Português | 中文
If you have questions about political or religious persecution, withholding of removal or another matter related to asylum, contact our office to speak to a Oakland asylum lawyer. We offer free 15 minute case evaluations.