Who Is Eligible for a Marriage Based Green Card?

couple talking to someone taking notes

If you are a foreign national who is married to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you may be eligible for a marriage based green card. The green card will allow you to live and work in the United States permanently. To be eligible for a marriage based green card, you must be able to prove that your marriage to the U.S. citizen or permanent resident is bona fide and not just for the purpose of obtaining a green card.

You must also pass a medical examination and be able to demonstrate that you are not inadmissible to the United States for any reason, such as criminal history or past immigration violations. If you meet all the requirements, you can begin the application process and start your journey to becoming a permanent resident of the United States.

Spouses of U.S. Citizens

The process of obtaining a marriage based green card can be a daunting task for spouses of U.S. citizens, but it is worth the effort. Not only does this type of green card grant permanent residence in the United States, it also opens up a world of opportunities. Spouses can enjoy the benefits of living in the U.S. - such as access to education, healthcare, and job opportunities - and they can travel freely in and out of the country. The application process can be complex and time-consuming, but with the right guidance and support, it is possible to successfully navigate the process and secure a marriage based green card.

Spouses of Permanent Residents

For spouses of permanent residents, obtaining a green card through marriage can seem like a daunting process. However, the benefits that come with a marriage-based green card are numerous. Not only does it provide legal status to live and work in the United States, but it also allows spouses to travel outside of the country without having to worry about being denied entry upon their return.

Additionally, it offers a path to eventually become a citizen of the United States. While the application process may seem complex, with the right guidance and preparation, obtaining a marriage-based green card can be a smooth transition towards building a life together in the U.S.

To discuss your options, call us at (510) 491-0291 today!