If you are enrolled in the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, it is vitally important that you remember to renew your status or else you risk losing your legal protections. DACA is tied to driver’s licenses in all US states. So, typically when your DACA expires, your driver’s license expires, too.

The best protection against this is to apply for renewal early. But failing that, you do have other options. The Oakland lawyers of Landerholm Immigration, A.P.C. could lend assistance in all aspects of the DACA application process.

What Happens if Your Application for Renewal Hasn’t Gone Through?

The US government is experiencing difficulties and delays in relation to immigration law and DACA. Because of those delays, it is encouraged that you start the renewal process as soon as possible. Even if you submitted your application on time, it could still fail to be processed before the deadline.

If DACA is not renewed in time, you could lose your legal status and your driving privileges. You may not be considered a lawful resident of the United States during this time and may not be legally allowed to work during this gap in coverage.

What is the Difference Between an AB 60 License and a Class C License in California?

Class C or Category C driver’s licenses are common licenses that most residents of California carry. According to the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), the Class C license allows drivers to operate a two-axle vehicle under 26,000 pounds and three-axle vehicles less than 6,000 pounds. If you have DACA and it expires, your Class C license will also expire.

AB 60 driver’s licenses are for motorists in California regardless of their permanent legal status in the country of the United States. To qualify for an AB 60 license, the driver must still meet DMV requirements, pass any DMV tests, and provide proof of identity and California residency. If your DACA expires, your AB 60 license should remain valid. However, the AB 60 license cannot be used as an ID outside of California or for federal matters.

Can You Switch from a Class C License to an AB 60 License?

In the event of your DACA’s unfortunate expiration, you may be able to apply for an AB 60 license while awaiting DACA’s renewal. Once DACA is renewed, you may then return to the standard Class C license, if you so desire. Variable wait times and fees may apply for license applications.

To learn more about what license is the best option for you, please contact our law office to schedule a free evaluation.